Wednesday, April 11, 2007

university policy

I was reading this article on a computer hacker at a university who, unbeknownst to him, had his files rooted through by a system administrator at the school, and it got me curious about USC's Internet usage policy.

I came across this here: 4.1.1 Use of university computers and networks may be subject to monitoring. The privacy of activities on these systems cannot be ensured.

While the policy continues saying these powers will not be used capriciously, it is still disconcerting to know that legally someone can look at anybody's computer without a search warrant and without consent. I personally don't like that. The worst part about it is that they don't even need a search warrant. If I remember correctly from my law class last semester, only individuals acting on behalf of a governmental body legally are required to get search warrants to look at something. USC is private, so should anyone challenge the legality of their stuff being looked at by anyone on the ITS staff, they would probably lose. Don't quote me on that, but I think I'm right.

Well, after reading this I think I will be using my Internet connection through new eyes - you never know who might be looking.

No comments: